Need a little extra motivation to lace up your sneakers and hit your steps count for the day?
These walking quotes will remind you why walking is such an amazing workout — not just for the calorie burn, but also for the mental health boost it provides.
Even on low-motivation days when running is just not going to happen, you can usually muster up the energy for a quick walk — and these walking quotes can give you the nudge you need to get moving.
Pin them, print them, or scribble them on a sticky note for instant inspiration when you’re tempted to stay on the couch, then head out the door!
1. “If you are in a bad mood, go for a walk. If you are still in a bad mood, go for another walk.” –Hippocrates
2. “It’s your road and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.” –Rumi
3. “The beauty is in the walking — we are betrayed by destinations.” –Gwyn Thomas
4. “If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside.” –Elizabeth von Arnim
5. “I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it.” –Soren Kierkegaard
6. “Don’t look back — you’re not going that way.” –Unknown
7. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” –Lao Tzu
8. “All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.” –Friedrich Nietzsche
9. “Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.” –Steven Wright
10. “Distance changes utterly when you take the world on foot. A mile becomes a long way, two miles literally considerable, ten miles whopping, fifty miles at the very limits of conception. The world, you realize, is enormous in a way that only you and a small community of fellow hikers know. Planetary scale is your little secret.” –Bill Bryson
11. “Now shall I walk or shall I ride? ‘Ride,’ Pleasure said; ‘Walk,’ Joy replied.”–W.H. Davies
12. “After a day’s walk, everything has twice its usual value.” –George Macauley Trevelyan
13. “Home is everything you can walk to.” –Jerry Spinelli
14. “Walking is man’s best medicine.” –Hippocrates
15. “When everything feels like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top.” –Unknown
16. “As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.” –Rumi
17. “In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.” –John Muir
18. “Walk towards the good in life and one day you will arrive.” –Unknown
19. “An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.” –Henry David Thoreau
20. “Not all those who wander are lost.” –J.R.R. Tolkein
21. “Walking brings me back to myself.” –Laurette Mortimer
22. “Walking is a technique of solitude, a way into reverie. The walker is not a sleepwalker but a daydreamer.” –Deirdre Heddon
23. “A walk is only a step away from a story, and every path tells.” –Robert MacFarlane
24. “If you have found a path worth to walk, never complain about walking!” –Mehmet Murat ildan
25. “If I could not walk far and fast, I think I should just explode and perish.” –Charles Dickens