Johnson can happily leave Denmark having made history.
Gregory Johnson has been a relative mainstay at the annual International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) World Equipped Open Powerlifting Championships for a little while now. Since 2015, the powerlifter has participated in three of these respective equipped IPF contests (2015, 2017, 2021), notching his best-ever result of sixth place at the 2021 iteration. After rewriting the record books at the latest edition, he may have lifted his arguable strength magnum opus.
During the 2022 IPF Equipped World Championships on Nov. 16, 2022, in Viborg, Denmark, Johnson captured an equipped World Record deadlift of 371.5 kilograms (819 pounds) in the 93-kilogram weight class. (Note: As the competition is still underway at the time of this writing, it is unclear where Johnson finished in his division.)
As the clip of his feat shows, Johnson’s joy was palpable. The moment he successfully completed his lockout, a beaming smile appeared across Johnson’s face. After dropping his massive barbell, he proceeded to do a short dance before dropping to his knees, then exploding in clear elation before standing up to hug two of the first people he saw on the lifting platform.
An experienced powerlifter who has competed in some capacity since February 2010, Johnson could be considered a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to lifting set-ups. According to Open Powerlifting, the athlete has participated in sanctioned lifting contests while competing raw, with wraps, and equipped at least once in his 12-plus-year career — most notably focusing on his raw and equipped exploits.
Here’s an overview of some of the more notable results from Johnson’s extended career:
Gregory Johnson | Notable Competitive Results
- 2011 USA Powerlifting (USAPL) Panhandle Power Games (College/Raw) — First place | First career victory
- 2012-2013 USAPL Aggie Showdown (Open/Raw and College/Equipped) — First place
- 2013 IPF Classic World Powerlifting Championships (Juniors/Raw) — Third place
- 2014 USAPL Raw Nationals (Juniors/Raw) — First place
- 2015 USAPL Men’s and Women’s Nationals (Open/Equipped) — Second place
- 2016 USAPL Winter Games of Texas (Open/Raw) — First place
- 2017 USAPL 35th Annual Open National Championship (Open/Equipped) — Second place
- 2018 USAPL Texas Strength Classic (Open/Raw) — First place
- 2018 USAPL Open Nationals (Open/Equipped) — First place
- 2021 USAPL Equipped Nationals (Open/Equipped) — Third place
- 2021 IPF World Powerlifting Championships (Open/Equipped) — Sixth place
Here’s a rundown of Johnson’s all-time equipped competition bests:
Gregory Johnson | All-Time Equipped Competition Bests
- Squat — 365 kilograms (804.7 pounds)
- Bench Press — 225 kilograms (496 pounds)
- Deadlift — 372.5 kilograms (821.2 pounds)
- Total — 947.5 kilograms (2,088.8 pounds)
Johnson’s record pull might be one of many stellar achievements and moments of unfiltered joy from the 2022 Equipped Worlds. The competition will officially end on Nov. 20, 2022.
Featured image: maroonroo on Instagram