By a relative timeline, Zen McCollum is only at the start of his powerlifting career. However, with the way the 22-year-old has pushed full steam ahead to this point, it might be hard not to view the 120-kilogram-plus athlete as an accomplished veteran.
On Oct. 19, 2022, McCollum shared a video to his Instagram profile where he notched a 390-kilogram (860-pound) single-ply squat double during a training session. Per the caption of his post, the feat is a personal record (PR). In addition to wrist and knee wraps, McCollum wore a lifting suit and lifting belt to help with the figure.
McCollum’s squat double PR is connected to his ongoing preparation for the 2022 International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) World Equipped Open Powerlifting Championships. That contest will take place on Nov. 14-20, 2022, in Viborg, Denmark. It will be just the second appearance for McCollum in an international competition after a second-place Juniors finish during the 2022 IPF World Junior Equipped Powerlifting Championships.
As the reigning equipped Powerlifting America (AMP) National Champion in the 120-kilogram-plus weight class, McCollum has amassed quite the individual resume at a young age. After starting his career largely as a raw competitor, McCollum appears to have transitioned to a single-ply, equipped focus. That shift in attention has seemingly paid off as the athlete can count six out of seven victories where he competed single-ply.
According to Open Powerlifting, here’s an overview of some of the more notable results of McCollum’s career to date:
Zen McCollum (+120KG) | Notable Career Results
- 2017 USA Powerlifting (USAPL) Rocky Mountain State Games (Teen/Raw) — First place | First career victory
- 2017 USAPL Raw National Championships (Teen/Raw) — Second place
- 2018 USAPL Gorilla Warfare II Pandora’s Box (Teen/Raw) — First place
- 2018 USAPL Raw Nationals (Teen/Raw) — Second place
- 2019 USAPL Colorado State Championships (Teen/Raw) — First place
- 2019 USAPL Southwest Regionals (Open/Single-ply) — First place
- 2021 USAPL Revenge of the Kilo Monster (Open/Raw) — First place
- 2022 AMP Nationals (Junior/Open/Raw/Single-ply) — First place
- 2022 IPF World Junior Equipped Powerlifting Championships (Juniors-Single-ply) — Second place
Here’s an overview of McCollum’s all-time single-ply competition bests:
Zen McCollum | Single-Ply All-Time Competition Bests
- Squat — 385 kilograms (848.7 pounds)
- Bench Press — 275 kilograms (606.2 pounds)
- Deadlift — 317.5 kilograms (699.9 pounds)
- Total — 962.5 kilograms (2121.9 pounds)
McCollum will likely have to bring his A-game to capture his first-ever international victory in Denmark. That probably won’t be an issue for an athlete who has started his competitive career on a rocket-like ascent.
Featured image: @zen.the.piston on Instagram